While the Constitution may guarantee my freedom 'OF' religion, it's becoming harder and harder to actually experience freedom 'FROM' religion. It seems the zealots are at it again, but this time in Colorado, with Colorado Amendment 48. If they can pass it there to modify Colorado's constitution, you can safely bet your last dollar that it will go viral next election season and be on state ballots all across this nation.
It's one thing to FUME. It's another to do something.
Some pro-choice people are channeling their post-debate aggravation into action. Don't like how John McCain put cynical air quotes around "Health of a mother"? They're working to defeat Amendment 48 (A48) in Colorado. A48 would grant constitutional "personhood" to a fertilized egg. It's a sneaky way to end-run Roe v. Wade and end pregnant women's health and privacy rights. They say, and they're right.
"If passed, A48 will spread from state to state, threatening access to abortion, access to emergency contraception, and even birth control pills and IUDs," says the Feminist Majority. There's a state based coalition: Protect Families Protect Choices purchasing media ads and mobilizing voters statewide now.
Joke about John McCain's creepy "air quotes" all you like. But there's nothing empty about proposals like A48 in Colorado.
Giving legal rights to fertilized eggs has serious consequences. Amendment 48 would impact literally thousands of laws and threaten quality health care and patient privacy.
Some possible results of Amendment 48:
- Clogged Courts: A48 would impact laws ranging from when property rights are granted, to inheritance rights, to who can file a lawsuit.
- Ban All Abortion: A48 would ban abortion—even for victims of rape and incest or when a woman’s life is at risk.
- Outlaw Emergency Contraception: A48 is so bad it could outlaw emergency contraception, the birth control pill, and other methods of birth control because they can prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus.
- Restrict Health Care: A woman with cancer could be refused life-saving medical treatment because it could put a fertilized egg in danger.
— Protect Families Protect Choices
• Birth Control Watch (explanation of Colorado Amendment 48)
• Protect Families Protect Choices